As part of its commitment to building bridges between communities and cultures, the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (OVPDEI) is pleased to announce this year’s Study Abroad Fair on November 6, 2023.
The free event brings different study abroad offices on IU Bloomington campus to one central location so that students have an opportunity to explore options and get answers to their questions.
“Supporting a diverse and inclusive campus community is a core value of Indiana University,” says James C. Wimbush, vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion and Johnson Chair for Diversity and Leadership at Indiana University. “The Study Abroad Fair will be a key opportunity for our students to learn about other cultures, ask questions and gain insight on how studying abroad benefits their college experience.”
The Nov. 6 Study Abroad Fair, which takes place from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the Indiana Memorial Union Solarium, will offer students information about dozens of IU Bloomington study abroad programs, as well as opportunities to learn about financial aid. An international-themed photo booth is also part of the event, along with a raffle to win free luggage, a passport and much more.
In addition, students can meet representatives from IU study abroad providers and hear from other IU students about their overseas experiences.
IUB partners and exhibitors at this year’s fair include:
• Arabic Flagship Program
• Bloomington Academic Advising Council
• Chinese Flagship Program
• College International
• Hutton International Experiences Program
• IU Education Abroad
• Office of Financial Wellness and Education
• Kelley International Programs
• Luddy School, Office of Student Engagement and Success
• O’Neill International Office
• OVPDEI Overseas Studies and Scholarship Program
• Peace Corps
• Russian Flagship Program
• School of Education, Global Gateway for Teachers
• School of Education, Global and International Engagement
• School of Public Health, International Affairs
• Summer Language Workshop
• The Media School
• Center for International Studies (CIS) Abroad
• College Year in Athens (CYA)
• Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
• Study Abroad in Scandinavia
• Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) Abroad
“Studying abroad can truly be a transformational experience,” says Ochmaa Escue, director of OVPDEI’s Overseas Studies & Scholarship Program (OSSP). “It is the kind of experience that can serve as a catalyst for personal growth, lead to unique networking connections, contribute to a deeper understanding of different cultural values and perspectives and open up a wide range of otherwise unattainable opportunities.”
The study abroad fair takes place during IU’s International Education Week. In addition to the Nov. 6th fair, OSSP will host the Marketing International Experience: A Student Panel in collaboration with the Walter Center for Career Achievement.